I just delivered a dining

Posted by CharlieJ on Aug 17, 2004

table to a customer yesterday evening that I just refinished. The bare wood before stain was sanded to 150 which is ONE STEP finer than our usual 100 grit. The reason I used the 150 rather than 100 was to have the stain show lighter. That's what we use finer grit for- the stain doesn't get as dark.

Once the stain is on and the first lacquer coats are shot THEN we go to finer grits, but SELDOM past 320 between coats- most normally 220 max (on a sanding block of course).

Once the finish is built to the needed thickness then I rub out with either 4-0 steel wool or rottenstone and a felt pad, etc. All depends on the wood.

I guarantee you that done properly, there are NO sanding marks showing through the finish. *grin* In fact, some woods , such as hard maple, won't tolerate sanding with 600 grit if you want any finish to stick at all- it just burnishes the wood.

None of this should be construed to say your sanding is the wrong way, or mine is necessarily the right way- just that sanding with coarser grits DOESN'T leave sanding marks, done properly.

In Response to: Re: painting on 600 grit? by Steve Miller on Aug 16, 2004

Replies: