Re: The Great Race

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Aug 9, 2004

"this is just TOO much fun!"

I know whatcha mean, Mac! My first year with a yak was non-stop funfunfun, but things *really* picked up when I got into a high-performance boat and added all that hot dog sea kayaking stuff to my bag of tricks. Heh, not to mention having a hull that can really handle the sea and haul butt!

I'm currently doing a lot of fishing, and down here on the Texas Gulf Coast, you fish out of a plastic SOT - period! Well, you know me... hard-headed as ever, I'm using my Cormorant as my ride. All those other guys and gals have an average range of two miles; I'm good for ten, easy. They cruise at 2.5 to 3 mph; I can go all day at 5.5. My sea yak routinely takes me places where nobody - and I mean NOBODY - else can get to, and that's a big deal for an angler in this rather densely populated area. I have taught several of my fishing buddies how to paddle properly, and they are always amazed at the difference it makes.

One friend has even bought a Dagger Atlantis, a 17'x24" sea yak, and hasn't taken his SOT out since. We're having a blast playing in the Gulf these days, now that we're no longer restricted to the bay system, and tearing up the fish in the crystal clear offshore water. My boat still handily outperforms his, however, and he is now studying kayak making. Hah! Another soul lost to the dark side!! LOL

Good on you for the race, son. Teach them whippersnappers a thing 'r two they won't soon forget, eh?

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: The Great Race by Mac on Aug 9, 2004

Replies: