The Great Race

Posted by Mac on Aug 9, 2004

Hi All!

Last week I mentioned that the gauntlet had been thrown down by my nephew and his lady re a race twixt their Wilderness Systems rotomolds (Tupperware) and my hard chined 19' Okoume Sea Lion.

It took place Thursday afternoon in spectacular weather at my Laurentian lake. To ensure that all was equal, we all watched my Brent Rietz video first. (This turned out to be my secret weapon actually).

We decided on a 2km duration (essentially up the length of the lake and back).

Off we went, and the 22 year olds handily beat the 60 yr old on the first leg. In fact they were laughing as they passed me coming back. Their stroke rate was almost double mine (230cm Grey Owl Tempests vs my 240cm BB Evening).

I made the turn and they were at least 100yds ahead of me.

Ah well, just keep a steady pace - don't have a heart attack - enjoy the day - work on excuse list (thanks to all contributors) - kind of a zen tranquility settles in (probably the onset of a stroke).

I come out of my trance about 2/3 of the way back as I hear splashing and PANTING! And it ain't ME! I'm about 20 feet behind the little lady and 40 feet behind the buff kid. They are now arm paddling, and the way their paddles are hitting the water they've begun to lose feeling in their arms. They try to compensate by increasing their cycle rate even more.

I change nothing, my kayak is on cruise.

Bottom line, I draw even with my nephew and try to talk him back to form but he's pretty much exhausted. I make sure we end in a tie. His gal comes in about 2 minutes later (and actually falls out of the boat).

They have since told me that they were very stiff and sore the next day. (These kids teach rock wall climbing!)

What happened? They body paddled on the first leg - as was I. That's why they assumed such a lead. However, I've noticed that it takes quite a few miles on concentrated practice to get this very different style down pat - this was their first try, and they were cycling too fast. By the retuen leg they got really tired really fast and reverted to arm paddling. That was their downfall.

A 250lb body paddler can go for hours using a steady cycle, and maintain a mile-eating pace.

I had no stiffness the next day - just a strong urge to get back on the water - which I did.

They agreed to continue to practice torso rotation paddling, and have demanded a rematch. I'm glad, 'cause I really want to trot out those excuses.

That was the best paddling experience I've had in my first summer in a yak, and I sure hope for many more. Man this is just TOO much fun!

Best...

Replies: