Re: PAX 18 for Touring

Posted by stephe p on Aug 5, 2004

Rich;

I paddle my pax 18 as pretty much the only boat (of five) that I take out. Now I seldom go for more than fifteen miles in a couple of three hour workout and seldom load any more than enough hydration and safety gear than my short day trips require.

Agreed there is boat loads of volume under that towering 12" radius front deck. But that is and always will be tough to access. The "king plank" deck stringer and extreme torture that a 12" radius puts on the 3mm deck pretty much forbid any thought of cutting into the forward deck area for a hatch. The thing would warp, split, deform etc before you could get any hatch reinforcements in place.

Yes, you can put a 6-8" deck plate in the forward bulkhead. I have yet to unsrew mine in the two years my pax has been on the water. Just too difficult to load and unload.

The rear is minimalistic for storate needs. The double bulkheads for the day hatch reduce useable storage length and since most people put a skeg in this boat the thought of getting a tent inside her, let alone a sleeping bag seems inconceivable. Additionally the plans put multiple cut out bulkheads down the length of the boat to provide some permanent shape and strength to the hull.

Is she fast, yes sir! Is she any more than a race/exercise/day boat in the right conditions? Sadly no. This is a design of little compromise.

Stephen

In Response to: Re: PAX 18 for Touring by FrankP on Aug 5, 2004

Replies: