I build boats for a livin

Posted by Charlie Jones on Jul 18, 2004

One of my boats won a first place in the under 20 foot division in a classic boat show in Sturgeon Bay Wisc last year so I'm doing something right. Tthe 22 footer I'm currently building has already been entered by the owner in the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival in Louisiana in October. Gave me a deadline he did, he did :)

I've used Brightsides but here's why I don't like it- I've found it doesn't cover well except in the whites, isn't as durable as I'd like, and is very hard to apply (other than by spray) so it really looks good. I won't tolerate a poor finish on one of my boats so I go to great lengths to be sure the surface is right.

I've seen several boats with the Interlux 2 part, rolled and tipped and they looked great. Since I have profesional spray equipment I use that but if I didn't that's the way I'd go.

Having said that, my wife has a cedar strip canoe that got seriously dmaged 10 years ago. A kid jumped off a storage building onto the canoe and ruptured the sides. The repairs were fine inside but on the outside the wood was so badly mangled we chose to paint. I used a porch and deck enamel and it's still doing fine. I like the way it glossed also.

I just feel there are many other choices of paints available so why use one that isn't what I want?

In Response to: Re: If you are spraying, by Lloyd on Jul 18, 2004

Replies: