The Saga Continues

Posted by Charlie Tuna on Jul 1, 2004

Well last nite I sand again the deck down to the glass. This time I used an air gun to remove the dust rather than a wash. Before attempting the deck I decided to apply the epoxy to one of the hatch covers. Again fisheyes popped out shortly after applying it. I decided to do some experimenting and took an old piece of the cut out from the cockpit that had not been sanded nor washed. I applied epoxy to it and again fisheyes. I took a piece of lumber that was uncoated and applied epoxy to it and again fisheyes. From here I switched to a bristle brush just to make sure it was not the foam brushes creating this situation. Again fisheyes.

So my conclusion is that my epoxy is contaminated. I recently recharged the orginal batch with the same brand same slow hardner

Latter that evening I was preparing some thickened epoxy for another project to do some gluing and noticed that the hardner spit up a hunk of orange junk. Not certain if this is related but does look suspicious.

The next plan is to purchase a small amount of hardner and resin and new pumps to try and ge through this phase of the project.

Has anyone had issues with hardners going bad?

Charlie

In Response to: Damn the Fisheyes by Charlie Tuna on Jun 29, 2004

Replies: