Curse of the Fisheyes

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Jun 30, 2004

Charlie, I tend to think you went too lightly with the 220 sanding, if I understand correctly that it reduced the problem but failed to eliminate it. I believe that if you hit it a little more aggressively the deed will be done to your complete satisfaction; in the meantime, I'm thinking it would be difficult to get into too much trouble with such a fine grit as that.

And remember, sanding into the cloth won't cause any deafening explosions or Titanic tendencies. In fact, it is my opinion that it is relatively harmless, with the caveat that you really would rather keep all of it along the chines and keel seam. Having seen your boat first-hand, coupled with the first-timer's marked tendencies towards ample caution, I just can't see you as being too much of a risk to wipe out your fiberglass job (might also muse on what it would take to sand off ALL the cloth and take 'er back to bare wood... omigod!).

But if you STILL have problems with fisheye after a more enthusuastic sanding job, I like your idea of paddling the crap out of it -- literally. That is exactly what I would do in such an event.

I would also cease wiping the surface after sanding. The epoxy dust is way too fine to be much of a problem, and indeed, is more likely to create a sanding sealer of sorts with the fresh coat (think of it as an extremely fine filler compound that is perfectly compatible). After I sand, I simply blow off the dust with the air hose, and disregard anything left behind. I used to brush it off, but it was difficult to get the dust out of the bristles afterward, so I stopped.

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: Return of the Fisheyes by Charlie Tuna on Jun 30, 2004

Replies: