Return of the Fisheyes

Posted by Charlie Tuna on Jun 30, 2004

Well my first attempt to recover failed. I peformed a light sanding with 220 grit and wiped down the boat with clean shop towels. I only performed a light sanding since I am nearly into the glass at this point. After applying the epoxy to the first small section it appeared I had resolved the problem. But I as time passed I began to see the fisheyes return to the surface. I tried to go back over with the foam brush to smooth it out which also appears to fix the problem but as time passed the fisheye returned. It did appear that not as many fisheyes popped up on this attempt last nite compared to the nite before.

This morning I inspected the surface and it appears that inside the fisheye there is some sort of wax or grease based on rubbing the area with my finger. So my next attempt to resolve this situation is to go back and sand down the area, then rub with 3M pad and then wash with dish water detergent to remove the impurities. I will wipe down with clean lint free paper towels. Let the baby completely dry out over nite and give it one more try.

Charlie

PS I thought I was home free but this last challenge is really testing my patience. If this attempt fails I am going out and practicing my rolls. Maybe the lake/sea water will wash off this plague.

In Response to: Damn the Fisheyes by Charlie Tuna on Jun 29, 2004

Replies: