Damn the Fisheyes

Posted by Charlie Tuna on Jun 29, 2004

Ok here is my perdectament. Hopefully somebody can help me out.

Last nite I was getting the deck ready to apply a coat of epoxy. I have already applied the 4 fill coats and performed the sanding marathon. Unfortunately I sanded a little too far and got into the glass in a few areas, plus can clearly see the weave in others. So I decided that prior to putting the varnish down, I would apply 1 or 2 thin coats of epoxy to insure a good seal and erase any chance of weave showing through the varnish. Plus going for that coffee table look.

I performed a quick scrub of the deck with a 3M pad with lots of water on the deck. I was hoping this would remove any loose particiles of epoxy. I then dried the boat with several clean towels and let it dry for an hour. After that I began to roll on a coat of epoxy on a small section and follow it by tipping it with a 2" foam brush. Both the roller and foam brush had been stored in plastic baggies to make sure they did not get covered by dust.

Well after the first section I began to see fisheyes through out the area I had put the epoxy down. I immediately stopped and removed the epoxy with lacquer thinner. And then decided to rub the entire deck down with the thinner to remove the small dust particles (I am assuming these are epoxy dust that has remained on the deck.) I had the garage closed and no air movement to speak of so do not think the dust is being put on the hull from the room.

So after waiting another hour I went back to the opposite end of the boat to see how the epoxy would look. This time I only used the foam brush but again began to see fisheyes.

At that point I turned off the lights and went back to read all the books on epoxy and varnish preparations. The only thing I could come up with is that I might want to use a tack cloth after the scrubbing with the 3m pad and water. This should pick the few remaining dust demons. But I seem to recall reading that epoxy and tack cloths don't agree with each other.

So if some of you fine coffee table top finishers could open my eyes to my errors, I would be in much gratitude. If not I will take the path of Father Kurt and just roll another coat of epoxy on and go paddling.

Charlie

Replies: