let's talk paint flow

Posted by Dennis Rioux on Jun 28, 2004

The answers to these questions will be applied to the *next* kayak because it is too late for this one. I have three coats of one part Brightsides paint down and I have a bit of an orange peel problem which would not be bad if it were uniform across the entire hull, but of course it is not. I am not willing at this point to sand it all off and start over (the days are getting shorter already for heaven's sake). I have it sanded down with 220 as far as is practical after a two hour effort, and I will apply the fourth (and final?) coat tomorrow morning.

Anyway, how much paint do you roller on at once? I am not getting the advertized "sprayed on look" using the almost dry roller technique. On the last coat the roller (yellow kind) was pretty dry, and I found tipping with the foam brush (black kind) to be a tacky experience. I ended up with spots of high gloss and spots of not-so-high gloss. Should I be putting more down at once? I think I got the orange peel on the second coat when I did put down a bit more than that last one. The tipping operation on coat two seemed to go okay at the time, but like I said, orange peel. I have pretty much decided to take what I get on this last coat (unless there is some magical post-painting procedure you'd like to share (go bang it up by actually using it?)) and I plan to put down however much paint all of you who care to respond tell me to do. So what'll it be -- a juicy roller's worth, a damp roller's worth, or a dry roller's worth? Thanks for your input.

Dennis

Replies: