Waitaminnit...

Posted by Kurt Maurer on May 26, 2004

"while I think the nail method is fine, if you want to go nail=less, it's do-able."

Agreed, George. The nails really didn't apply to Chris' question after all, except perhaps to the extent that they act as clamps during glue-up, and thereby greatly simplify deck installation (which is only standard instruction manual fodder). I personally believe we may safely shake hands on a deal well made once the deck cloth is draped over the sides, wetted out, and cured. Between it, and the schmutz bonding the deck to the sheer clamps, the sheer seam ought to be strong enough so as to make the nails' presence superfluous.

My question was, and is, what do you gain by going to the trouble of eschewing them? I cannot remember ever noticing whether a CLC boat sported nails or not... and I have seen a quite a few CLC boats recently.

You went nail-less. Was it worth it? Would you do it again?

And what about pulling stitch wires, any comment there? I never even *began* to unnerstan' that one... Paging Steve Miller -- Why'd YOU do it, and would YOU do it again?

Make no mistake George (and Steve), I have a great deal of respect for you. I do not mean to be contentious, but I *do wish* to better understand "the other side's" point of view on these kinds of questions. As I noted in my original reply, my opinions are certainly subject to change with experience gained, and I wish to avoid taking a stand today that I will rue tomorrow. Go ahead, ask me how I know that sucks...

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: Re: Thanks Master by George on May 26, 2004

Replies: