Re: Artic Hawk question

Posted by Kurt Maurer on May 11, 2004

Steve, I would venture to say you lost your 'novice' status after completing the C17LT, unless it sank like a rock upon launching and no one has ever seen it since.

If you think sheer clamps in the extremes of the bow and/or stern would make things easier on you while building ANY kayak, then do it! I built two Cormorant hybrids without any instructions whatever, as my 2nd and 3rd kayaks, and that is exactly what I did. Before and aft of the bulkheads, cedar sheer clamps, and fillets-and-tape in the cockpit area. A run of cloth all the way around on the outside of the sheer ensures a fine connection between deck and hull.

Modifying the details is wide open, and fair, territory for us to explore... as long as we ascertain that weak spots are not built in -- which is practically never the case as far as I have seen. A quick note to the designer, or a forum such as this one, will usually clear that one up if you do not trust your own instincts.

Since you are looking at building a *third* boat, how about trying to customize it a bit, and make it truly unique? An Arctic Hawk with a stripped deck would be killer...

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: Artic Hawk question by Steve Murch on May 10, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.