Re: Building the AH?

Posted by Rich on May 10, 2004

Are you building the Arctic Hawk? Sure sounds like it.

If so the latches are altogether on one piece that you glass and only cut apart as you near the finishing stage. They are much easier to deal with when kept together. They look like little oblong tabs with holes in them.

I don't know what you mean about them going with the cockpit.

If I am right and you are building the Arctic Hawk, first congratulations on your very excellent choice, second be sure to read through the manual before you start. There is more that will help you identify the parts there. Yes you should have two center splice plates that need to be oriented correctly when they are glassed and certainly when they are installed. Skip ahead to figure that out and get them labeled right. The bow and stern deck splice plates can be figured out by consulting the manual as well. Go ahead and label parts as directed. The internal ones you will never see anyway. (I let my kids write and draw on the underside of the deck pieces. I figured that would be fun for them and if the yak ever breaks up and they can't find my body, it will help them identify the boat.)

Be patient and absolutely follow the manual. You will make few errors if you do. This method is forgiving and errors can almost always be corrected.

In Response to: identification by Jamieson Hart on May 10, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.