Chesapeake Kayak 17 For Sale

Hi there!

My name is Lorraine, and my uncle recently passed away. In his passing, he left me his cherished Chesapeake Kayak 17. He purchased his kit in 1999, and he spent years meticulously building it before he became ill. I've been in contact with CLC, and they have the purchase documented, so I can prove authenticy if requested. As beautiful as this boat is, I unfortunately do not have the space to store it. I don't mean to attach a story to this boat -- I just want to be completely transparent!

This kayak is virtually brand new -- he was never actually able to use it and simply tested it to make sure it was up to his (perfect) standards. I reviewed it closely, and there are absolutely no flaws. I have pictures from every angle, but I can't figure out how to upload them here. I'll attach my email at the bottom for anyone who would like to reach out so I can send photos. Or, if you comment your email address below, then I can email you that way, too. Or if there's another way that's easier that'd be great! I apologize -- I'm not familliar with this site just yet.

I also have a new Thule car mount that can fit any car with rails on the top that I will include with purchase. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and I'd be happy to drive the kayak anywhere within a somewhat reasonable distance (I'm not scared of driving!). Otherwise, I can see about how to ship it somewhere.

I'm flexible on pricing, and, to be honest, I don't know exactly how much completed kits sell for. I would really appreciate anyone's insight on this or strictly respectful offers.

If you or anyone you know would love this kayak, or if you have any questions, then please feel free to message me. My email is [email protected]. Thank you for your time!

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake Kayak 17 For Sale

I meant to post this on the other forum and can't figure out how to delete! I apologize!!

Hi Lorraine,

Sorry for your loss. It's nice to see that you're trying to get a good home and appreciative owner for all your uncle's hard work.

You say that you have no idea of how much a completed kit should go for. Typically, if you try to charge for the materials cost and labor, you won't get it. Most people either can't afford or do not want to pay a reasonable rate for the skilled labor that went into a build. You can try to charge for the full labor at a realistic rate, but unless you find an exceptional buyer you stand little chance of getting it.

Many home builders compromise and ask for the materials cost of the kit - wood, glass, epoxy, sandpaper, varnish, paint, etc. The idea is that since this was a hobby, the labor was for fun and the materials were the expense. The buyers see that they are paying exactly what they would for a kit, but receive a ready-to-go boat. If you want to go that route, the CLC folks would be a good resource to tell you what the materials above and beyond the kit cost.

I hope I haven't been discouraging, but I wanted to give you an idea of what you can ask for the boat. Again, if you're willing to wait for an exceptional buyer, you can try charging for your uncle's labor, but if you're in a hurry there's always the materials cost.

Good luck,

Laszlo

Laszlo,

Thank you so, so much for your response! I truly appreciate your insight. That definitely makes sense to me -- I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't find any information to show whether or not that may be true.

As you mentioned, I'm really looking for an owner who will value how hard my uncle worked on this piece. Thank you for your kind words and understanding -- this is such a beautiful community.

Again, thank you so much for your time,

Lorriane

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.