Question on Eastport pram or other boats seats frame slots on the interior

CaptainSkully said couple years ago there was a discussion on the frame slots on the bottom interior of some boat kits. ( I am building a Eastport prime kit 2018 and it has the slots. )  When you fiberglass the hull on the bottom  interior and extterior, the resin will fill the slots.  I was thinking about putting model clay in the slots to reduce the work of cleaning it out. Ideas are welcome.

I thought about putting in the seat frames before I fiberglass the bottom too.  The frams slot peice can cover the hole and resin from the exterior bottom when fiberglassing  can help secure it after i put in some fillet.

Does any one have anothe approach or can remember the posting from the past? Or am I getting carried away?

Thanks in advance.

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Question on Eastport pram or other boats seats frame slots on the interior

If by "model clay" you mean plasticine - don't.

Plasticine is a petroleum product. Petroleum products and epoxy do not play well together.

If what you're worried about is the slot being filled in, it won't be. The fiberglass will keep the epoxy from dripping down the slot, as long as you don't use too much epoxy. Once the epoxy cures to the green stage (no longer tacky, but still flexible like a piece of leather) you can use a razor blade, exacto knife, etc. to trim the piece of glass from the slot.

If you accidently get too much epoxy onto he glass, just blot it up with a paper towel before it starts to cure.

Have fun.

Laszlo

Laszio.  Thanks for your advice.  I do understand your suggestions.  

Thanks again,

NickL

I have never researched the chemistry of Play-doh, but I have used it successfully to keep epoxy out of areas where it was unwanted.  The clean-up can be a little tedious, but it works like a charm.

Hooper 

Play-doh, according to Wikipedia, "is composed of water, a starch-based binder, a retrogradation inhibitor, salt, lubricant, surfactant, preservative, hardener, humectant, fragrance, and color.[10] A petroleum additive gives the compound a smooth feel, and borax prevents mold from developing.[3]"

Plasticine is "made from calcium salts, petroleum jelly and aliphatic acids."

Personally, I wouldn't use either because of the chance of contaminating the work, but if I absolutely had to I would pick Play-doh over plasticine based on how my hands feel after handling them. After plasticine they feel downright greasy, after Play-doh they just feel as if they need a wash.

Hooper, I guess your tedious cleanup is thorough enough to remove the contaminants.

Laszlo

To reiterate what Laszlo said regarting the slots, we had no difficulty clearing out the slots after the fiberglass was applied and cured with our Passagemaker kit build.  No special difficulty clearing them out, really, as Laszlo described.  I seem to remember small files being handy, as well.

.....Michael

You can also make home made Pla-Doh, just do a quick search for kids' recipes.

Eastport Pram.  I just finished the other day fiberglass the interior.  I read the manul, asked quetions above, etc and sweat about it and the slots for the frames.  I find in the manual a person used a roller to add resin to the cloth. NOT A GOOD APPROACH.  I started with a 4 inch roller and immedially saw this was not a good idea. The cloth moved too much and it would add thick resin.  I quckly switch over to useing the yellow plastic spreader starting from the stern.  The manual said make one cup of resin.  I made 4 ounces per.  I also used a brush in some areas to add the resin by tapping in ares that may need some resin.   Not only did it work well, the slots for the frame did not have any resin.  Just the cloth.  I cut out slots cloth within 3 hours when I pulled up the blue tape too.  I did the work within an hour.  

I just want to pass this infomaton alone so there is no need to put filler in the slots.  Also by using 4 oz of resin you don't feel to rush because you do not have too much to take care as the manual says one cup.

NickL

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.