Can I stain okoume marine plywood before coating with epoxy?

I needed to put a substantial curve into some okoume marine plywood, so I built a form, put it in the uninsulated attic (temperature in the day at least 120), and slowly did my bend over a 10-day period, keeping the plywood wet with sponges, covering it with a plastic tarp.  The bend went OK (no break :-), but the water put a brown stain on the wood.  I'll be coating the plywood with several coats of epoxy and varnish before I'm done, and I'm wondering if the epoxy will adhere if I use a brown stain first to blend into the brown water stain already there.  It's only 6mm plywood, so I'm afraid to do enough sanding to eliminate the waterstain, though that's what I'd prefer; I like the original color and grain pattern of the okoume.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Can I stain okoume marine plywood before coating with epoxy?

I used the Behlen stain sold here by CLC on a tool box kit that I then coated with varnish.  i used the cherry color and was very happy with the results.  The Behlen is designed to go under epoxy and varnish.  I wouldn't expect you to have any problems.   

RE: Can I stain okoume marine plywood before coating with epoxy?

Like Mummichog said, Behlin stain works great.  There are a nice set of directions under the "Tips for Boatbuilders" tab of this site.  If you really don't want the stain, I would try a light sanding with 220.  I have successfully removed several water stains that way.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.