Filling Wire Holes After the "Fact"

By "after the fact" I mean after two coats of Brightside on my Tenderly (I used no pre-coat), which I stupidly thought would fill the remaining holes if I "dunked" them first with the tip of a roller prior to the normal rolling and tipping technique,  Alas, there are about 30 or so holes still visible, all above the waterline, that did not fill, to my satisfaction anyway, and now when I see how great the paint job looks overall, I wish I had remembered, or paid attention to those exterior holes before now (all the holes are covered with epoxy and sanded flat on the interior).  My hope is that I can now go around with the tip of a small screw driver and push a speck of thickened epoxy into each hole, leaving next to nothing to sand before I lightly sand the whole boat again prior to my third and final coat of Brightside.  My question:  since there's a tiny bit of paint in each hole, will the epoxy stick in each hole "over" the little bit of paint in there?  Actually, when I think about it, what other option have I left myself with?  Maybe this is just a "try it and see" sort of question.  (I think I'm posting this as a reminder to others to work on those wire holes before they become an issue - - judging from a few other posts I've seen on the issue).

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Filling Wire Holes After the "Fact"

I guess it depends on how perfect your paint job is and how perfect you want it after dealing with the holes.  If it were me, I'd probably take the smallest drill bit that would clean out the hole and not enlarge it much (like a 3/32") and drill out each of the unfilled holes.  I would want the epoxy seal and bond to the wood, not paint.  Use a syringe with a small tip and epoxy w/ just enough filler to hold in there.  Use tape to restrict the epoxy to the line of holes and keep it from dripping down the side when you aren't looking.  When it's set but soft, scrape the little bumps flush.  When fully hard, sand just enough to get them smooth then repaint the strip.  On the inside, you'll have to do the same.  If you're a dark color like the dark green or blue, it might need one coat, but two if a light color like white or yellow.  If it's varnished inside, you'll be surprised how fast and easy it is to patch dings in the varnish.

On my boat, this wouldn't be too bad for my standards.  One, I put some flattening agent in my brightsides because I knew I wanted to hide my less than perfect epoxy job. Two, I've repaired enough dings now to know that with a minimal amount of caution, I can repair the paint so you don't see it on any casual inspection.  I won't win any concours d'elegance but get lots of compliments as my skerry goes by on the water.

i would go with your original proposed technique.  epoxy will stick to the brightsides for the purpose of this little filling activity and i have used this approach after the paint revealed some flaws that i wanted to address.

h  

Thanks!  I’ll go around and stuff a little epoxy into those offending holes and try not to worry any more about it.  My paint job is far from perfect anyway - though I WAS quite surprised and happy with the overall look of - in this case - a shiny dark blue hull contrasting with varnished upper panel, interior, and transom when viewed from about 10 ft away.  I think it was the nature of those pin holes that set off my usually contained obsessiveness - - the image of a boat “leaking like a sieve” running through my mind when those little holes “suddenly” revealed themselves.  Thanks again for taking time to help me put them in perspective.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.