Fill coats of epoxy on kayak deck - how protect HULL which is already done?

I'm finishing my Shearwater Sport kayak built a week ago at Wooden Boat school week in Charleston, SC. Hull has been fiberglassed, filled, sanded to infiniti, and is just the way I want it, ready for varnish. I'm doing the deck next, which is already glued and fiberglassed to the hull. How do I fill the fiberglass weave and lay on the final coat/s of epoxy on the deck WITHOUT getting drips or epoxy slop on my hull? I'm thinking I should use painter's tape along the shear line and then sand off any ridge that results when the deck is done. Is there a better way to protect the hull while epoxying the deck? I'm new to the forum and will continue to search the site for any tips that may already be on here. Thanks for any ideas, 

John Phillips

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fill coats of epoxy on kayak deck - how protect HULL which is already done?

look at the discussion below on the forum entitled ' Laying deck glass, looking for tips and tricks'  it is the exact same question you are asking and has some great tips and pictures.

Thanks for the reference hspira. FWIW, Here's what I ended up doing to protect the hull while epoxying the deck:  1" painter along the shear line, then 2" tape below that pinched up various places along the length to make a small "shelf" to catch any wayward drips. I'm two coats of epoxy  into filling the weave, and no disasters so far. One last coat tomnorrow should do it, then tape off and hoping for the best! Thanks again. John Phillips

Don't know how to post pics yet, let's see if this works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezSKrEQ7C5P1oOKy2 

Your boat looks great John. I wish I had thought of taping before adding the fill coats !!!  It looks like your Shearwater is  nearing the finish line. Well done.   BTW - to look at your picture I copied the URL and pasted it into the browser. To post a hyperlink, use the link or the image button, and pset the hyperlink into the URL field.  I have not been able to see how to post an image directly either - although others are doing it. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezSKrEQ7C5P1oOKy2   

My method of using a tape "fence" to protect the hull while epoxying the deck. It worked, but is not elegant! Thanks for the suggestion re the link, Paul

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.