NE Dory tiller containment

I’m at work on my lunch break, my boat is nowhere around me so forgive me for thinking out loud. I took my Dory out over the weekend, this was my very first solo outing, all by my little lonesome. I had a great time. My intent was to sail if the wind blew, fish if it didn’t. Well it didn’t. Spent most of the day with the sail furled up nice and neat beside me and my line in the water. At one point the wind started to stir just a bit so I thought I would raise the sail and see what might happen. Now to the crux of the issue. When I am rigged for sailing, that is my rudder in place but the sail down. And I am rowing, I tie a loose loop of line around my tiller to keep it from falling overboard. If anyone is curious I will take a picture of my setup later. This lets me row and the rudder can move freely, not impeding my direction of travel. This day I first opened this loop so the tiller would be free, turned around and set my sail, reached back for my tiller and it was in the water, parallel to the boat…….Not really what I was after. That got me thinking, why did I untie that loop? Wouldn’t I be able to control my Dory with the tiller semi captured by this loop? I really should have tried this out before posting, but I have already typed all this up. What do you think Dory owners? How do you handle this situation?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory tiller containment

Maybe. But a picture of your setup is probably needed. You don't want anything that can or would snag your mainsheet in a high wind. That could lead to a capsize.

I usually just drop the tiller extension into the center of the boat and that restricts the movement of the rudder enough for me. But if I take too long to raise the sail and the boat falls off downwind, the tiller extension can and will get dragged out of the boat. My solution is a semi-comic speed dance to get the sail up so quickly that the boat never entirely looses upwind forward momentum.

I've had a little time to think about this now. It's going to take a little dry land experimenting to get this right. I think I can make a containment loop that will hold the tiller in the boat, but still give me freedom to steer. I will post a picture if it works out.

Not answering your question but ... if I'm rowing for any length of time I ship the dagger board and raise the rudder. I can steer the boat better with the oars, and I feel like the boat is a little more nimble.

That said you do get spash coming up the daggerboard case into your face if you're on the front thwart (crew seated aft). Possibly a winter project to make a cap of some sort for rowing trips.

We splurged on the kick-up rudder option which so far works perfectly and seems very worthwhile. So nice just to leave the rudder deployed until the last minute as we land on a beach. Likewise in reverse when setting off.

[quote]That said you do get spash coming up the daggerboard case into your face if you're on the front thwart (crew seated aft). Possibly a winter project to make a cap of some sort for rowing trips.[/quote]

I had the same problem with my Skerry plus a wet bum when I was rowing so I made a short dagger board (stops at the keel line) with a plate on to the shape of the centre thwart. I have a foam pad on that for a bit of comfort.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.