Passagemaker bulkheads

You all helpded me so much with my transom gap issues, now I am back with the same issues with the bulkheads.  Getting them in place for the fillets, but there are some pretty big gaps on the sides, up to one-eighth of an inch.  Is the fillet just going to fill this in?  I can't think of any way to get them tighter.  What do you think?  

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Passagemaker bulkheads

If those are taped fillets an eight of an inch gap is fine. In fact, there is a school of thought that taped fillets should all have a gap to avoid any wood-to-wood contact. The theory is that wood-to-wood contact points act as stress concentrators.

I've never heard of scientific testing of that theory, but even if an eight-inch gap doesn't help, in my experience it doesn't hurt (as long as it's a taped seam).

If you really want them tighter, it's the same drill as before - loosen some stitches and tighten others, repeat until you're happy or just don't care anymore.

Have fun,

Laszlo

RE: Passagemaker bulkheads

Hi Laszlo,

I'm new to this, but will soon be fixing in the bulkheads on my PM.  By 'taped' do you mean fillets reinforced with a length of fibreglass tape.  I understood that the fillet of thickened epoxy would be sufficient, and the glass was only used for the bottom and floor ( and first strake)

Thanks

Andrew

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.