NE Dory, Cleats, etc. for docking lines and fenders

Does anyone have any recommendations for hardware, cleats, chocks, etc, for docking lines and fenders for Northeaster Dory? I also need recommendations for the exact placement of the hardware.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: NE Dory, Cleats, etc. for docking lines and fenders

How about the stuff that  CLC sells? There's even a list of recommendatiobs at the bottom of the Dory page,

Laszlo

Laszlo, point me please, to the Dory page.   thanks,    Dave

Here's the NE Dory page:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/northeaster-dory-rowing-sailing-kit.html

I believe the items to which Laszlo referred may be found by rolling down to the bottom, or click on "Related Items" near the top.

If you go through the photo gallery carefully, you may get some ideas.

One thing I did for our Passagemaker Dinghy was to make some quick and dirty "thole pins" to put in the oarlock sockets.  Used 1/2" hardwood dowel with a strangler knot or some such to act as shoulder.  These were handy for hanging fenders.  We used the grip slots in the transoms to rig various mooring lines, painters, etc., but you won't have those on the NE Dory.

I guess having places to tie stuff would be a good reason to go with a spacered inwale, but that doesn't help you know if you didn't go that way.  People who sail their boats off nice, sandy beaches all the time sometimes lack appreciation for how hard it is to keep from tearing up a boat like this around docks and warfs.  Hope you figure out someting which works well for you without being over complicated.

.....MIchael

Gramps beat me to it. I guess he keeps vampire hours while I wake up the birds :-)

Laszlo

My wife is a night owl.  Sometimes I try to keep up with her.  <;-)

If you wnat another project you can make your own cleats.  Check out the link to a picture of a few cleats I made for my Skerry.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6Rvz5CfU5pf57uKQOeJSzYhCEUkTLIV8cB1X5Gy7RDPGs_D6OLKplf_Z0CeRpfA/photo/AF1QipMy8ShwDmMMs84aDS25BVBPZYcbkzJc77BTvAB3?key=MTZHX0FFaFF6YW92bkdlTWg2ZHBTd0x0d3VzRmNn   

Not sure about the NE Dory, but I tried many different fenders on my CY and finally settled for pool noodles split lengthwise and inserted over the outwales.

So far, it has worked very well with low/high docks and even with pilings in the way.

I can leave them on both sides, either port or starboard, only, or any combinations

Here’s a link to a picture showing how I arranged the noodles:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wph_XrxoymzqToxlZnF0Hp7GkmjGX01B

I certainly did not come up with the idea, and this works very well for me.

Eric

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.