Thinning schooner 96 varnish with mineral spirits

Has anyone had problems using mineral spirits to thin Interlux schooner 96 varnish?  I've read about bubbles, but it seems like it hasn't been any worse than when using the Interlux thinner?  Thanks.  

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Thinning schooner 96 varnish with mineral spirits

I answered my own question - thinned the Interlux Schooner 96 varnish 10% with mineral spirits - it flowed better than un-thinned, and 24 hours later is appears to have dried exactly the same as un-thinned.  I didn't notice any bubbles or other problems.  

Thanks for posting this. I have several coats of varnish on the boat but was curious about thinning as you had done. I will be trying your 10% ms on the next coat of my seats.

Yup, should not be an issue. I used MS with the varnish and stored it in a StopLoss Bag, which might be the best investion ever by the way. I wiped varnish with a 50/50 mix and had no issues with the varnish itself. 

Here's a tip when you are wondering if you really need to use the special (expensive) thinner for some kind of paint:  Go find the manufacturer's MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the thinner.  It will summarize what is actually in it.  If it says "petroleum distiillate", mineral spirits or naphtha  are probably OK.  If the MSDS lists xylene, acetone, etc, you should use those solvents.

A lot of the time the choice of solvent is not based on chemical compatibility, but on the rate of evaporation.  Paints meant to be thinned before spraying sometimes have different thinners for hot or cold conditions.

And BTW, for car paints at least, don't waste your time trying to brush a paint meant to be sprayed.  The solvent will evaporate much too quickly.

Doug

I thin my varnish with Epifanes' Easy Flow.  Penetrol would also work; I use that for paint.  In addition to the petroleum distilates they contain a magical mix of other stuff that retards the drying process.  This allows the varnish to settle out, eliminating a lot of brush marks.  In fact, I use Penetrol when applying all alkyd-based paints, not two-part polyurethane.  (I haven't tried it with Britesides yet.). If you get the proportions right, you can roll an NOT tip.  It is wonderful stuff.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.