Temporary Shelter for Building

Contemplating what it's gonna take for me to get my half of the garage cleared so I can build my Waterlust canoe kit, I'm wondering whether any of you folks have used something like these things for a building shelter?

For the size needed (minimum 10' x 20' I'd be thinking) it's a pricey proposition for something that wouldn't see much use once my canoe's completed. At that stage it will be stored on a lift system in the garage, probably Harken's.

I'd likely as not erect a temporary deck to get up off the (sometimes soggy) ground where this would be erected, also to gain a level floor.

In my area I'd have to think there'd be some interest in a used shelter, I see them frequently both in town as well as in the rural countryside surrounding us.

User experiences / recommendations / things to be wary of are welcome.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Temporary Shelter for Building

You're obviously someone without a homeowners' association.

Laszlo

I had a 6x6 that looked just like it to store lawnmower and yard tools. It lasted a couple/few years and some wind ruined it. It was definitely temporary and wouldn't buy another. Maybe instead invest a little more for a real shed to store things from the garage to make room for building in the garage. The overhead lighting will also be appreciated and you won't have the thread of wind contaminating uncured epoxy/wet varnish with sand. Then when you are finished, you will have more room in the garage instead of being stuffed to the max.  

SPClark, 

I too have just purchased a Waterlust kit and have not reaaly got a handle on how all of the project will be properly sheltered.  When I received the boxes, I inspected the parts and placed them under our guest beds for short term storage.  

My plan is to use a small boat trailer with a wood deck, 4' x18' as the mobile work platform.  I do have a garage, but my wife has a very nice car, that I plan to move outside while working on the boat, then cover the boat and move it outside, when not working on it.  

If I were to purchase a temporary shelter, I think that it would only be used to aid in covering the boat when I am not working on it.  My concern for a temporary shelter is that I will be working on the project when the wind typically pipes up, so keeping the temporary shelter from self destructing over time, (wind, snow, etc) may be difficult to do.  I would reallly love to have a proper carport on my driveway as a real solution to this problem, but the Chesapeake Bay Act will not allow it.

Steve Baum

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.