Removable Dory Tiller

I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm just about to begin building a new kick up rudder for my NE Dory and want to make the tiller removable for easy storage.  I  have seen a few other builder's ideas on how to make a removable tiller.    I made my original rudder with a removalble tiller using T-nuts and bolts, copying some of those methods but am looking for other methods.  I thought I'd ask for your suggestions on techniques for building the tiller and rudder head so they can be separated.  I am looking for other ideas, plus any pictures of traditional techniques using a tiller that slips over the rudder head with a pin in the rudder or a tiller that protrudes thru the rudder then the tiller is pinned...all thoughts and pics or links appreciated!

Curt  830 997 8120

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Removable Dory Tiller

This is what i did to my skerry-rudder

1: used oughtred's elfyn yoke/tiller as exemple

2: tried to copy skerry original yoke curves

Ruud

Ruud,  Thanks for the pictures...exactly what I was looking for...   so the original CLC tiller is on the left that you didnt use and you built a new one from scratch eh?

If you had it do do over would you make any tweaks?

Also, have you seen any pictures of, or do you have any comments on, the method of strengthening the CLC stock tiller, strengthing the stock CLC rudder head and making the tiller slip over the rudder head then put a pin thru the rudder just like how you put a pin thru your tiller?

Thanks!  Curt

Curt,

I made the rudder according to the plans, but without filleting the yoke to the rudderhead because I wanted a non-permanent connection. Tried to connect the original yoke to the rudderhead  with over–centre fasteners. Even before sailing I decided  that that would not make a good connection.

During the build I moved the opening  for the rudder uphaul and downhaullline from the backside to the front side to get the lines inside the boat instead of on the rudders backside.

I made the new yoke from larch, strong and light! The hole for the new yoke had to be place above the up/downhaul channel but not completely at the top of the rudderhead (for the sake of strength). As a result I had to cut a peace of the rudderheaddoublers. On the starboard side to get an flat surface for putting the yoke against. On the other side to make space  for the securing pin. I had a lot of trouble getting flat surfaces.  It would have been a lot easier cutting the doublers before gluing them on the ruddercheaks!

I still think about a tillerlock to have a freehand for eating, waving, filming etc. There are a couple of solutions on the internet, mostly fixing the tiller with a bungee. I consider a pipe clip (with quick release lever) screwed to an innerwhale.

I’ve seen pictures somewhere of an tiller construction maybe like the one you mention, don’t remember where (maybe a dorybuild). I will try to find them again. It sure looked strong but also very heavy and massive. I like an elegant yoke with nice curve better, actually I like the form of my new yoke even better than then the original.

Cheers

Ruud

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.