When to fit Hatch Covers to Millcreek

Another question to all Millcreek builders:

Is it best to cut and fit hatch openings prior or after glassing deck?

Alan

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: When to fit Hatch Covers to Millcreek

I cut the hatches in prior to glassing - did it while trimming the deck.  Seemed the most efficient use of time.  Worked out well.

I think I'm going to add hatches to ours.  I'm about to glass the hull once it stops raining and then will need to work on the decks.  Did you guys buy the hatch kit or make your own?

OK Richard I'll try it before glassing. Seems logical but could find no guidance either way on plans or instructions.

Jeff: I purchased the kit, it has all you need to build and fit.

Alan  

Glassing first will protect the deck if you plan on a bright finish.

Glassing first will protect the deck if you plan on a bright finish.

With regards to the last note, a sharp, fine toothed blade and good eye resulted in no injury to the deck.  Certainly, rim doublers were added after glassing - hatch doublers and stiffners added before glassing.  This is my first boat, and I debated this topic.  The CLC support person said it was 6 of one, and just about 6 of the other.  Maybe I was just living on the edge.  That said, very happy with the result.

dehager,

This is off topic but what color did you stain your deck?

W.D. Lockwood #23 Honduras Mahogany. One ounce of powder mixed with distilled water is more than enough for a MC 16.5. Mix the dye pour off a small amount to use and water it way down. Slowly build up the color with multiple coats. Google around for Lockwood's, it's about $8.00 for 1oz. There are some wild colors...

I have added more photos of the build, not organized yet but I working on it...

http://dehager.smugmug.com/Boats/CLC-Mill-Creek-165/6686487_BbGBe

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.