Picking up after 4 years away, are my supplies still good?

Hi, I am new on the forum.  I started a shearwater merganser 17 about 5 years ago and after completed the hull and deck I lost my building space and got distracted by bicycles. 

This week, I unpacked my supplies vowing to finish my Kayak.  The deck is on and the glass was laid and filled 4 years ago.  There are some parts on the hull that can use a little more fill.  So there is almost an entire gallon of CLC epoxy and 1/2 gallon of hardener left from 4 years ago.  The hardener has turned a beautiful amber :)  I tested the pumps and mixed a dixie cup full, and after 2 hrs, the stuff was still pourable, after 5 hrs, it has gotten hard.  I also tried a test w some glass onto a cardboard box, and after 5 hrs, the surface is still very tacky. 

So is the 4 year old CLC epoxy any good, and can I salvage any of it?   I remember either the MAS guy telling me 5 years ago that the only thing that really goes bad is the hardener and that heat will cure all.  So is the resin good and all I need to buy is some fresh CLC hardner?  If not, then anyone who is doing an end pour, please contact me, I have just the stuff for you :P

Note: this was the kayak that was built on the 9th floor apt.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Picking up after 4 years away, are my supplies still good?

I also had a long break in building my kayak (8-1/2 years) but last summer I did finish it!

I struggled with the epoxy question and ultimately decided just to buy fresh epoxy.  Most people I talked to recommended new epoxy.  Wasn't worth ruining the boat trying to save some money.

Good luck finishing the boat.

A couple or three years is generally okay from what I've read and my own personal experience, but much more than that, it's best just to buy new epoxy.

FrankP 

After extensive conversations with E poxy lady Chemist we completed a 8 yr old CLC kit with 8 yr old E poxy it tends to cure quite slowly i but after carefully warming the resin and hardener (SEPARETLY) TO ABOUT 100-105f  to reintegrate the chemicals and running a few tests we determined it was fine although a little slow and it had the awsome amber color we would love to have so warm it up, mix it up, let it cool to useable temp and you should have no problems other than slower E poxy which will be nice to work with as the warm summer weather moves in

C Fox Boat School

cfoxboatschool.com 

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Lucky for me, I live within an hour's drive of CLC.  The folks at the shop were terrific and was very helpful with advice to finish my kayak and the condition of the epoxy.  As advised, the epoxy AND hardener is still good to use.  But the set up time would be longer, which is an advantage for some construction actions and during hotter days.  I also purchased a pint of sys 3 fast hardener for blending w this ultra slow stuff and for times when a fast set is useful.

thanks again to everyone

I really don't have anything to add to this thread except I have to wonder about "poopncow". Any chance there is a reasonable explanation for the name?

George K

George, you're just encouraging him. :-)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.