Footbrace mounting kit

I failed to read ahead sufficiently in the manual for my WD12 and only belatedly realized that the standard footbrace mounting procedure calls for drilling through the hull and results in visible hardware on the exterior. I don't want to do that.

So I am considering ordering the footbrace mounting kit. Unfortunately, I have installed and fiberglassed the deck so getting up inside the boat probably will be a challenge.

My question: Can it be done?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Footbrace mounting kit

I believe that Laszlo will be your guy for the right answer to this one..I just glassed the interior bottom half of my WD-12 hrbrid and I need to start thinking about the same thing--I am like you no hardware showing on the exterior. I am not familior with the plastic one that is offered or how the mechanism works but if I did I would be thinking about a way of making one and a way to by-pass the plastic which does not adhere with glass.

I installed my footbrace kit after the deck was on my WD12. The cockpit is large enoughf. To make sure the mounting bolts were in the right place when glued to the interior I installed them while attached to the foot brace. The epoxy won't stick to the plastic foot brace. I did one side at a time with the WD12 tilted on its' side. I can't remember if I taped or what to hold it inplace while the epoxy set.

It can be done. It won't be as easy as doing it with the deck off, but that massive cockpit saves the day.

The main issue that I can see is clamping. Also, you definitely want the studs installed on the braces when you tack glue them on to get the proper alignment.

Check out my WD12 Footbrace Stud page and let me know if you need clamping ideas.

Laszlo

Sorry Ralph, you posted your answer while I was writing mine. Turning it on the side is an excellent idea.

Laszlo

Thanks to all -- Your answers reassured me I'd be able to reach far enough into and maneuver inside the cockpit to get the job done.

Boy, this is fun.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.