Assembling Strongback and forms for strip built

I just starting a strip built Night Heron.  I'm a little perplexed  as to how you attach the bow and stern forms to the strongback.  Nick Schade in "Building Strip-planked Boats" says to insert the tang of the form into the strong back and fasten it with cross bolts.  He then uses a wedge system to force the forms and L spacers tightly together to keep everything in the right place.  With the bow and stern forms that CLC provides I'm not sure how to attach these end forms securely without gluing them in place which would make the eventual disassembly difficult.  With the force that the wedge system exerts I don't think hot glue would be strong enough.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jeff

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Assembling Strongback and forms for strip built

Try this link out. Nick shows how he build a strip kayak almost step by step it has a video of how he does what you are asking.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/blog?page=1

RE: Assembling Strongback and forms for strip built

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I think I know what he did, I went back into the book and re-read the chapter on forms and strongbacks and came across a drawing that showed  cleats and screws holding the end forms.  I guess I missed that the first 2 times I read it.

Thanks again

Jeff

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.