finish sanding before Varnish

Epoxy is done, and I have been finish sanding. In a few spots I can see (not feel) a hint of the glass. If i wet it out it goes away.

Will it disappear under the 4 or 5 coats of varnish??

David 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: finish sanding before Varnish

Anything you can see on the surface of the boat will be seen under varnish.  

Casey, is that right? Previous responses to my question on the same topic said that if I wet it with water and the weave disappears I was good to go and the varnish would hide the weave. I was a bit skeptical myself so I put a thin coat of epoxy in the few spots but I would like a definitive answer (for next time). anyone?

Thanks,

Dan 

I have built several boats and have found that sometimes varnish will cause some imperfections to disappear, but not all.  This is especially true if the weave of the fiberglass is not completely filled.  If this this the case you will end up with little holes in the varnish where it goes into the weave.  It is always a good idea, just to be on the safe side to add a very thin extra fill coat of epoxy if you see the weave.  That way you can be sure that everything is sealed up and no water can get in.  

As for the original post, I re-read more carefully, and if it is just a hint of white and not the actual weave coming through, varnish will probably make it disappear.   

Thanks for all the input. I am still torn, probably throw another coat of epoxy on. Just to be safe.

David

I'd hit the area with a bit of varnish and see what happens, probably it'll be just fine. Then you can get on with the finishing.

George K 

I like that idea! I am getting a little tired of the epoxy on, epoxy off routine! I will let you all know the results

David

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.