Build Time

OK, I've searched and can't find an answer.  So, I'll ask at risk of getting the smack down;)  I'm going to order a Mill Creek kit.  I've watched youtube builds and looked at lots of build sites.  I've read my Annapolis Wherry manual three times.  I decided to build the Mill Creek for it's versatility.  The Mill Creek seems like a pretty easy build.  I consider myself an intermediate hobby woodworker with a tool selection beyond the average homeowner.  I realize that epoxy drying time will dictate the speed of progress in many cases.  But, is a three month build realistic?  If I buy the kit in March, we could actually use it this summer.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Build Time

Jeff,

If you can work on it straight through (i.e., no day-job to interfere) and the weather cooperates, three months might be doable.  I ran into weather as the big road-block..., once you drop below 41 degrees epoxy won't cure.  Paint/varnish, as well, requires about 70 or better for proper drying. 

So, if the stars align and the gods are good, you should be on the water mid summer!

Good luck; post pictures if/as you go,

Larry

No day job...I wish!  I'm leaving for Canada in the morning.  It is actually supposed to snow here tomorrow morning.  I'm in Atlanta, so by April, the weather will be more cooperative and I have a 3-car garge to build in.  Once I get started on a project, I am a bit obsessive.  I'll give myself an August date to shoot for.

Oh hey,

While we're asking about build times, could anyone give me a very rough numbers estimate for build hours on a S&G Night Heron?  I've heard 80-120 actual build hours thrown around for the C17's, and I've seen the gauge comparing that to the Night Herons, but I'm not sure what that would relate to in actual build time. I know that both get done to some degree in a 1 week fulltime course, so I can't imagine it being too horribly much more? Is this logic horribly off? For someone building in sunny Southern California, where when people say "Freezing" they mean 55f, this should totally be something that could be done in a month or two of dedicated weekends, and mostly dedicated weeknights.... right? 

Thanks. 

-- James

I built a Shearwater 17 from a CLC kit in 100 hours spread over nine weeks. The Night Heron should be about the same. The total number of hours is not the issue, though. The number of hours you can work in a day is often limited by the need to let the epoxy set up or the varnish to dry.
-Wes

What Wes said. I'd also like to add that all other things being equal, the level of finish is what's going to control the build time. A coat of porch paint will get you on the water a few days after the hull is complete. A yacht showroom finish, done evenings and weekends, can take months. especially for a first time builder.

Laszlo

My understanding of the 1 week classes is that the boats get built with the glass & epoxy on. The finishing is not done, which, as mentioned can take quite awhile. This will include cycles of sanding, maybe more fill coats of epoxy, and multiple coats of varnish &/or paint. And always more sanding between coats, frustrations with the bugs and dust, outfitting the kayak etc.

Have fun!

Ralph

A stripper will take longer than a S&G, up to twice as long depending on skills and finish desired. A hybrid will take a bit longer than a S&G because of the deck, add maybe 20 more hours. And Ralph is correct about the 1 week classes. Also keep in mind all the panels have already been glued up prior to those classes or it would be impossible to build any boat in 6 days.

George K

Thanks, that gives me a good confidence boost. Now if my tax return would finally show up, I'd be able to get this thing bought and put together. I'm planning to spend an hour or so after work most nights, and let things dry out overnight. :)

-- James

You will need to factor in the time you will spend standing in your shop admiring the beauty of your creation and visualizing what it will look like after the next step is accomplished.  This will add hours to the build!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.