blotchiness

I have 3 coats of epoxy on the deck now. Unfortunately it's a bit uneven and the weave isn't quite filled in certain areas. Should I sand and touch up before I do the final, prevarnish sanding?

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: blotchiness

The weave should be filled before sanding for varnish as you don't want to sand into the 'glass. Going to be a nice looking boat.

George K

Mybe I was unclear. Should I just spread a little more epoxy on the thin spots, or give it a light sanding and a complete coat?

It's quite possible that the weave is already filled, and that what you are seeing is the weave "telegraphing" through  (also known as "printing through) the fill coats.  Do a light sanding to smooth things out, then add another coat of epoxy if you need to.

check out the following shop tip -- there's a handy diagram to illustrate what is probably happening with your deck.

Julie K

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/epoxy_and_fiberglass/fiberglass_weave_epoxy.html

Part of my issue is that I didn't use a thin nap foam roller. I used those small hot dog sized foam rollers sold at the Church of Home Depot. This laid the epoxy too thick in some areas and too thin in others. I attempted to even it out with a foam brush, but it dried pretty uneven. I have ordered the right stuff from CLC. Last night I sanded it down with 120 grit and am going to put a thin skim coat where needed. Here is a pic of a spot where the weave shows thru (and my rough sanding)

If you have already put several coats of epoxy over this area and it still looks like this the cloth probably didn't get saturated completely on the initial coat. If that's the case there's no way to get rid of the "blotchiness" but to sand off the cloth carefully in that area and put on a patch, overlapping the surrounding cloth an inch or so. There won't be much, if any, of a compromise in strength and once the whole area is feathered in nobody but you will ever know there was a problem.

George K

What George said, but before you start sanding away the glass, wipe the area down with a wet rag. If the pattern goes away (and then comes back as the area dries), your glass is fine, don't sand it off. If the pattern stays even when the surface is wet, then you need to sand (unless you decide that you can live with it).

Laszlo

Thanks Laszlo,

I wet done the the area in the photo and the weave went away. Looks like I'm good to go.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.