What kind of plastic to prevent bonding?

Gang, I've watched the DVD several times and read the manual, but I want to be sure I know what kinds of plastic I can use to keep from epoxying my boat to my work surface while gluing up the scarfs, etc. Cling wrap? Used overhead acetates? Garbage bags? Acrylic sheet? Clear tape? I'd hate to get off to a really disastrous start. Thanks. dc

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What kind of plastic to prevent bonding?

Clear packaging tape is what I used under my joints and also on the scrap wood used for protecting the wood while clamping.

For under/between scarfs, I use the heavier plastic sheeting, not the really thin painting dropcloths that you can tear by looking at too hard. Although that stuff might work too, I think a heavier plastic is easier to work with.

All of the plastics you mentioned will work. I like 4-mil polyethelene, though. A 10' x 25' sheet is only about $14; smaller sizes are available too.

I've used the plastic table cloths like they sell in the dollar stores. I also use heavy duty poly. They both work. I use the table cloths on the work bench for small stuff, when finished they are easier to dispose of.

Perfect! You've reassured me that I have the right idea and dispelled any nagging fears that it might be some special polymer that "everybody just knows."  Now let's see if the Oxford Shell in my basement can be moved from its shipping boxes to the lake before this time next year. Thanks! dc

I used plain old wax paper.  2 or 3 layered underneath and the same on top.  Then used a scrap board placed across the puzzle joint and dry wall screws thru it and into a sheet of plywood underneath it all. The pressure of the board/clamp worked well. If you are careful and clean up a bit as the excess epoxy mix is squeezed out, you are left with only a little sanding.

Warning ... I used transparency film to protect the worktable under the panel butt joints. Much to my horror, the film delaminated and stuck to the underside of the panels.

Now I use cheap plastic drop cloths and plain wax paper.

Wax paper can work, but sometimes not work as well.  Something in the wax can hamper/impede curing of epoxy.  I got away with it years ago.  I no longer tempt fate.  A little bit of time spent getting hold of 4-mil plastic is well worth it for me.  YMMV.

Good building.

I can't get any kind of plastic to stick to epoxy... which is a good thing.  Plastic spreaders, clear packing tape, the rubber ends of my squeeze clamps, spatulas, you name it, the stuff (epoxy) just pops right off after cured!   Seems strange given how strong it bonds to everything else!  Even some of my metal parts... just poped off in one piece.

But what a glue!  I've never used it before but it's quickly becoming my go-to-glue for tough jobs (aside from plastic parts, of course).

If you ever do want to bond something to plastic, even polyethylene, pick up some cyanopoxy from a hobby shop. It's a cross of crazy glue and epoxy that will bond anything. On the downside, it makes epoxy seem very inexpensive!

My renewed thanks to you all for this advice. I picked up some 4 mil poly at Lowe's while in town today. I'll use it for a dust barrierl / curing tent in my basement. There's plenty left over for controlling epoxy. Good to know it is well suited. dc

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.