Greenland paddles

Does anyone know where I can purchase 2X4 West. Red cedar lumber for paddle making?

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Greenland paddles

The Western Red Cedar Association has a retail store locator on their website.     www.wrcla.org  

I have had trouble finding a good piece of any kind of wood here in Michigan.  I have started carving a SPF 2x4 just the other day and so far it's working out ok.

Loube

A lot of times you can find stunning pieces of wood at old time local lumber yards. They will probably be pricey, but better quality than you can get from the big box stores.

If you mention your location, someone might be able to give you more specific advice.

--

Ogata, eric

Thanks for the link, loube. Turns out the yard 1/4 mile from my house is a vendor. Mebbe I'll rip my own strips for the next boat.

dthaler

Today I finished my greenland paddle.  The first coat of stain is drying as I write this. The hardest part of the whole project was finding a good piece of wood.  I never did find any western red cedar that was any good for a paddle.

I used that spf 2x4 that I told you about in my last post. It worked out GREAT !!!   The grain pattern looks great ( not a fine grain like cedar ).

Looking for another piece of wood to do it again.

Loube

What is spf?

SPF is short for spruce-pine-fur.    Construction grade lumber.

I just noticed that the Greenland paddles in the CLC catalog are made from Ash.

Loube

If it is your first paddle you might want to get a cheap piece from the local yard.  Such as a 4x4 red cedar fence post.  Mine has a couple knots in it but I have moved on and am using a paddle made from Paulownia.  Which I had to order and have delivered by UPS.

Kim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.