MC13-WD12 comparison

Hi, does anyone have experience with paddling both the Mill Creek 13 and the Wood Duck 12. I would like to know which one is faster and which one is easiest to maintain a good cruising speed ( least drag ).

I have owned a Mill Creek 13 among many other kayaks in the past , and I loved it but had to sell it to make room. 

Robert

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: MC13-WD12 comparison

Robert,

Keeping in mind that I've only tried the MC13 once at an Okoumefest, I found the WD12 noticeably easier to paddle, which is why I went with that boat. It's also lighter.

I've had the WD12 up to its hull speed as shown by the wave it was making (1 wavelength from bow to stern). My GPS showed that as 6.4 mph. However, that was a gut-busting pace for me. My keep it up all day pace is 3 to 3.5 mph. The speed in the promotional video is somewhere between those two (the balance there was wrong for max speed, I would have needed to move my seat forward a bit).

I was able to cover 22 miles in one pleasant day of paddling in my WD12.

Laszlo

The specs and intended usages of the Wood Duck 12 and Mill Creek 13 are
mostly interchangeable.  Both have big cockpits, good stability,
and excellent speed for their size.

The essential difference is that the Mill Creek 13 has authentic
1930's "double paddle canoe" styling, while the Wood Duck is
thoroughly 21st-century.  The Mill Creek is quite a lot harder to
build, as it has more parts and more woodworking.

Link to Wood Duck

Link to Mill Creek 

Thanks John and Laszlo for your replies.

"Keeping in mind that I've only tried the MC13 once at an Okoumefest, I found the WD12 noticeably easier to paddle, which is why I went with that boat. It's also lighter."

This is the answer I was hoping for. Laszlo, I have looked at your video and pix and see that you are happy with your WD. At the moment I have to finish my Chris Cunningham Greenlander ,which I find too tippy, and then finish off my Wa-apa outrigger sailing canoe so that will keep me busy while I order the plans .

Robert

Robert,

As John points out, the specified weights are the same. I was basing my impression on picking up actual boats. It could just be that the example MC13 was built a little heavy or that the Wood Ducks came in light.

My experience is with 2 particular Wood Ducks only - the CLC prototype built by Eric Schade (who is a master builder as well as a designer) and my own. And while I am not claiming to be a master like Schade, my boat did come in below the design weight even with double the glass the design calls for. So maybe the WD12 is easier to build light, as well as easier to build.

Anyway, yes, I am very happy with my WD12 and can hardly wait until the water turns liquid again around here.

Have fun,

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.