Wire gauge

I needed more wire and was able to get some 18 gauge at a local hardware. 

When I got home I found it to be a bit thicker than what came with my kit.  It fits into to holes but is stiffer to work with.  Am I mistaken about what gauge CLC sent me? 

Anyone forsee a problem? I am getting ready to put my deck together on my wood Duck 10.

Coach C

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wire gauge

You have the correct stuff. I find the hardware store wire seems to be less prone to breakage, even though it's the same gauge as the wire that comes with the kit.

It seems it could go either way; what you are looking for is something that can be twisted relatively tight... while not snapping or untwisting in the process. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try - you should know right away if it's going to work for you or not.

I too ran out of wire at one point and ended up finishing using some copper wire from home depot that I beleive was originally intended to be used for picture hanging (came in a big roll) - it also seemed a little stiffer then the CLC stuff, but for me I think it actually performed the same if not even a little better (as in it seemed I had less breakage in some of the areas under higher preasure with the home depot wire).

Remember that your really just using it as a temporary method of holding things together until you can get some epoxy tacking down - if it can hold it until then you are golden!

Thanks to both of you, I just needed some reasurance and you gave me that. 

Have a great day with lot's of love, peace & ice cream!

Coach C

I couldn't find the right gauge at first and used some heavier stuff. I didn't like the distortion it caused. I finally found the right stuff at Lowes by buying thermostat wiring, 6 or 10 wires in a casing and it worked well. Had to strip of course.

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.