Removing paint under the coaming?

I am presently restoring a Chessie 16 that had a painted deck.  I have removed all the paint from the deck, but have been unable to remove the paint under the coaming--that area under the coaming lid down to the deck. I would like to remove this so that the whole topsides can be varnished.  I have tried sanding and use of a dremel tool with little success.  Ideas anyone?

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Removing paint under the coaming?

This sounds more extreme than it really is, but you could use a thin-bladed flexible saw (such as the Japanese saw sold by CLC) to completely slice off the coaming from the deck. Then you could clean the deck, as well as the coaming spacers and the underside of the coaming with relative ease, as well as touching up the coaming to spacer fillets. Once done, just glue it back on and you're ready to go.

If you do decide to go this way, watch out for the possibility of brads up at  the front. That part you might want to start with a hacksaw.

Laszlo

RE: Removing paint under the coaming?

Thanks mucho for the response.  I would have never thought of that!  I do have a Japanese saw to do the job, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it with thinking about it further. (I have a truly remarkable ability to screw things up royally.)

I have experimented taking a large 48" sanding belt, and by cutting off a 3/4" width from an outer edge,  have created a 48" belt 3/4" wide to hand sand under the coaming.  This has worked better than anything else
 so far.  Perhaps I will persist with the sanding until I become tired, at which times my eyes will turn to the Japanese saw.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.