Sassafras 16 to Replace Lost SportsPal 15.5

Ah'm baaack......

Probably only Laslo, George and John are the fellows who will remember Mac from Montreal - it has been quite a while.

Last great build was the first Sea Island Sport kit to hit Canada a few years back - with MUCH help from John and George

I just got word that my old SportsPal aluminum canoe has gone AWOL and is trapped in the ice in the middle of our Laurentian lake. Prognosis isn't good regarding any rescue with the weather we have coming. By spring, it'll probably be a twisted hulk.

Bright side? I'll probably be allowed to build something to replace it if I whine and moan enough.

As I have three S&G kayaks, I'm thinking of a Sas 16 to be the new canoe.

Good idea?

Cheers.

11 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sassafras 16 to Replace Lost SportsPal 15.5

I love mine. Paddles like a dream. Fast, light and tracks well. Rides rough lake water well.

A couple of  things to remember:

It's not a major load carrier. Relatively slim. Waterline profile more like a 'yak than a bulge-bilged Prospector. Relatively low freeboard.

The above also results in it feeling more tippy than a typical fat canoe, but that is deceptive. It is wonderfully stable, but you need to get involved in it's stability - can't just be freight. Again, like a 'yak.

Build it to spec and it will be lighter than anything you've probably ever portaged, by a long way. 

Many Thanks, David!

She sounds like exactly what I'm looking for!

Now I'm excited.

(Hear that John?) (Yeah, like Mac's never been excited before - guy gets excited every time he picks up his Shinto rasp,,,,)

Cheers,

Hm.  Mac?  Mac, did you say?  Yes, afraid you are right.  Don't remember you at all, sorry.

There WAS a Canuck some years back who kept us all in stitches, and even offered a gem of a technical tip now and then, or dragged us up out of the quagmire of epoxy despair.  But I don't recall his name.  "Kurt" comes to mind, or maybe "Robert", but no, that's not it.  But no matter.

Welcome, young feller.

Kurt used to wrestle with epoxy - he's from Galviston, Texas. A total panic of fun and wit.

Robert was the nut case from Edmonton who insisted on kayaking with the ice floes in the winter. A realy wild guy.

I, on the other hand, am from Montreal and while setting some sort of record for posts according to Mr. Harris, offered only sage advice and profound wisdom. Just ask Lazlo.

And thank you for calling me "young feller", Camper - you're OK in my books!

seriously, it's good to have you back Mac.

Welcome back Mac!

I was just thinking of the old gang the other day and wishing that you and Kurt were still posting. I loved reading the Kurt  and Mac Show, with special guest star Camper.

Anyway, I'd better say something about the Sassafras 16, just so I won't be hijacking the thread. Not only is it going to be lighter than the late lamented Sportspal, it's going to be a lot prettier. Mark at CLC recently built one for his daughter and I was lucky enough to see bits of the process. It was a seriously pretty boat. And light. I don't think you can go wrong replacing aluminium with okoume.

Don't be a stranger,

Laszlo

Laz,

Ain't it amazing how the waning grey cells lead to misspelling everyone's names? So sorry about that!

Thank you and David so much for the Sas16 thumbs-up. It means a great deal, and gives me the ol' warm and fuzzies.

John has also mentioned that I can deal directly with CLC even though I'm a Canuck. That is another GREAT piece of news. Thank's Mr. Harris! (I think he's atarting to trust me...:) ).

So, all obsticals removed, I'll be making the move in the New Year. 

Cheers to all from the frozen north.

P.S. Has anyone heard from George Krewson?

You mean this guy? He was alive & kicking (or paddling) when I ran into him on the river at MASCF back in October.

Laszlo

Excellent!

Glad all's well and NASA lets him out once in a while.

Thank's Laz

Laz,

George has been in touch, thanks for mailing him!

Cheers

No problem Mac. It's good to have you back.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.