bamboo strips

I'm planning a shearwater 17 hybrid and want to use bamboo strips as accents. Anyone have any experience or comments/ SEEYA Jack

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: bamboo strips

I've made my share of longbows using bamboo, so I have a little experience with the stuff.  I would think the biggest problem will arise when you get to the fairing process.  The nodes on the bamboo are rather hard, as is bamboo, compared to cedar.  I would think this would add an element of diffuculty during the fairing phase of the project.  Not impossible by any means, just a little more challenging......Shearwater 17 Hybrid

Thanks for the thought Birke. I have considered that but only pln to use a few strips that I think I can handle. Do you practice Kyudo? Is that where your bow making comes from? SEEYA Jack   PS Nice looking boat.

No Kyodo here!  Bamboo just happens to be an excellent bow making material due to its very high tensile strength.

Bamboo will be fine in the sense that it takes well to epoxy, and won't fail. I've seen it used, with great success on long-board skateboard decks (my other creative outlet/vice). Extremely strong, flexy and impact-resistant. But, I suspect, it's kind of heavy for 'yak purposes, compared to cedar, etc. If you are only using it 'decoratively', that should'nt be an issue...

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.