No Shearclamp in the S&G Night Heron? Differences from Ches kits?

I remember reading, somewhere, that someone was happy about the night heron because they felt that shear clamps were wasted weight or something like that, however, I can not now find this. 

I figgured I would ask what the substantial differences in build process for a stitch and glue Night Heron vs a Chesepeake is. 

I got the video on building the Chesepeake, and really enjoyed it. Feel a lot better about getting into this project, and only have to finish out this month and I should have enough saved for my kit =) 

-- James

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: No Shearclamp in the S&G Night Heron? Differences from Ches kits?

The sheer clamps make construction easier because they eliminate the messy and stressful job of taping the interior seam between the hull and deck. They also give you more leeway fitting the pieces together. The tradeoff is a slight increase in weight. There's probably no difference in strength. On my Merganser hybrid I used short (8" to 12") sheer clamps in the ends and taped the remainder. -Wes

RE: No Shearclamp in the S&G Night Heron? Differences from Ches kits?

I've always thought that inside taping and endpours were kinda hokey, so when I built my NH I did it with shear clamps. It was tricky because the bevel angle changes from the cockpit aft, and the flip in the shear at the stern required some pieces cut on the bandsaw, but everything went together perfectly, and I feel less worried about what's going on in the ends.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.