Today I tackled the most undesirable job of filleting and taping the deck to the hull of my new hybrid. The job went a lot faster, much easier, and less messy than my experience last year on my Shearwater, though, largely because I used empty West caulking tubes to spread the thickened epoxy fillets along the seams with an old caulking gun.
It was very easy to reach all the way into the end compartments and lay down an even bead of goop. I used a six-ounce mix of epoxy with a 4:1 mix of Celofil and sawdust from my random orbit sander on each side. The mix was looser than peanut butter, but thicker than mustard.
I set the boat on its side, leaning against a stepladder, and laid down the entire seam before smoothing it out with an old kitchen spatula, then covered the fillet with 3" fiberglass tape that I had pre-saturated with a brush on an old board, then rolled up for a few minutes before spreading. Four hours later I did the other side the same way.
I had no problems with the epoxy setting off too soon or jamming in the tube. Conditions were ideal: 70 degrees and dry. This system worked so well that I intend to use it on all fillets in the future.
For what it's worth - Wes