Kayak suggestion

I've been haunting this site and looking at various kayaking sites for some time now so I'll finally stop lurking and ask the big question. My goal is to build a boat and run the MR340 next July. After that I'll be using it here in North Texas (where there's not much white water and NO ocean) for one or two day camping trips on the lakes and rivers. After considering a lot of these boats I've settled on the Shearwater 17. What do you think? Good for a 340 mile run from Kansas City to St. Louis and a liveable boat after that?

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak suggestion

I built a Shearwater 17 last year and loved the way it handled. It's fast, tracks well and steers easily. Unfortunately, it proved too small for my size so I sold it to smaller person. I'm 6'-4", 210 pounds and wear size 11 paddling shoes, which were a jam fit in this boat. CLC advertises it as fitting up to size 12-1/2 shoes, but size 10 is the real maximum unless you have very short legs. You can read my construction notes and see photos of the shoe fit at http://twofootartist.com/shearwater-construction-notes/ -Wes

The "fit" problem was my big worry. I'm 5'11" but have size 12 feet! If there's anyone in the Dallas area that would let me try a "test sit" in one of these I'd appreciate it.

But, if the Shearwater won't work with my big feet, any suggestions?

I have a Shearwater 17.  Your feet should fit barefoot and with neopreme socks.  With shoes, I doubt it.  The real trick will be finding a seat that is comfortable for long paddles.  So far I find it more comfortable with no seat than the standard seat.

Jon T

I'm currently building a Merganser 17w, which, like the Shearwater, is designed by Eric Schade. It has a similar hull, but is an inch wider and higher, so has more foot room. Just finished the deck a few minutes ago, so haven't actually tried it for size yet. His website is www.shearwater-boats.com

For seats, my favorite is the Surf to Summit Grande. Newfound Woodworks sells a very comfortable seat, but I think it is too thick for this hull and might raise the center of gravity too much.

-Wes

I built a shearwater 17 last winter and it's an amazing design. The cockpit is a bit snug but I wanted a fast and playful boat, so it's perfect for me @ 6', 185 lbs and size 10.5 feet. Plenty of foot room with NRS Attack shoes. No room for sneakers though. I use a Jackson 1.5 Sweet Cheeks seat and it's perfect. The backband that came with the SW is ok, but I'll replace it with a kit from WaveSport this winter. I'm in Kansas City, come on up and you can try mine on our local lake and we'll answer all of your questions. The 340 is a tough 3 days, you don't want to be cramped!!

Elchucko

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I'll have a lot to think about as this crazy idea takes shape. I grew up in St. Louis so hitting the Ozark streams in a canoe is second nature to me. And I always envied the people in yaks passing me so easily. Phase 1 is getting my old, 57 year old body back in shape. Phase two is build the boat and learn to paddle it. Then I'll see about the MR340 (that's  the carrot I'm holding out for myself). Meanwhile, I'll continue to lurk here and pick up whatever info I can. Again, I appreciate the responses.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.