epoxy tip

Hi,

My uncle Leo told me this great epoxy tip: "if you have an epoxy leftover, put it in the freezer". I do this mostly with epoxy mixed with some silica powder prepared for glueing. It works, also with unthickened epoxy!  He also cools the epoxy in a box with ice, to prevent curing of the epoxy and herewith lengthen the working time.You only have to be alert not to get ice water in the epoxy.

I also put my epoxy rollers in the freezer, so I don't have to throw them away after I've used them once. Saves a lot of material or cleaning.

Best regards,

Mariska.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: epoxy tip

I had a contractor put his paint rollers in our freezer at work.  He contaminated our food.  Freezing will not stop the material from emitting fumes.  Not even if the rollers are in a plastic bag.  I would never ever put anything toxic in the fridge.

Kim

That's probably true, thanks for your reply, I didn't think about that. So, it would only be safe if you put it in an airtight box.

Mariska.

I am a bit fanatical on this.  I would not trust an airtite box or bag. 

If someone was planning on doing this they should follow the same rules as a scientific lab.  That is NO chemicals or specimens in the food fridge.  A separate fridge that never has food is what is needed.  Even if you had the most airtight/fume tight box or bag in the world, what happens when a guest is over and decides to try some of that yummy looking frozen yogurt?  Epoxy can't be too good for you when it is put into the mouth.  Even labeled properly, why take the chance that even a tiny amount of contamination could occur?  Epoxy is not that expensive. 

you've convinced me. I won't put any epoxy in the freezer anymore. Pity though, because it does work, especially for rollers. But you're right, it isn't worth risking contaminating your (or other peoples) food.

Not to beat this subject to death BUT, I live in Michigan and do most of my boat building in the winter.  Seems like I could just bag my roller and put it outside the shop, in a shaded place for those rare sunny days.  Should work the same, right?  This is a great idea, I get my foam roller covers at West Marine and the price adds up.

I guess putting your rollers outside if it freezes works the same. Just take care animals can't reach them. It should work for leftovers of mixed epoxy as well.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.