Rudder Install (Anyone have pictures?)

Hello all,

I am looking for some good pictures of a rudder install. I am contremplating installing a Feathercraft F1 Rudder and I have not been able to see, in great detail, how the set up is installed. Thank you.

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Rudder Install (Anyone have pictures?)

I am in the process of installing a K2 on my MC 16.5 with Sea-Dog Rudder Control Foot Braces. If you would like I can take a few pictures and post them in the next day or so...

I have no pictures to offer, but curious what boat you are building?

You need to look up a user by the name of "Wordsmith".  He recently did a post on a new yak (Shearwater I think) he finished using a different rudder, but cableing would be the same.  He is one crafty Aussie.  And the link is posted for his pics.

KK

I preferred the rudder mount.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boatgear/RACE-RM000.html

and the footbrace mounting kit.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boatgear/0000-FMK00.html

Hope the pictures help Danno... I will break them up into two posts as I do not know if there are any limits on posting pictures.

Finished most of the layout and hole drilling for the K2 rudder. I still need to make the rudder V-block, shock cord and pull cord guide blocks. After I finish with the deck fiberglass fill coats I will glue on the fairleads for the cable housings, pull cord guide blocks and V-block. After all is varnished I will install the housings and hook up the cables.

Wow! Great pitures and your Kayak is coming along great. Thanks for the pics, Now I have better understanding how this is done.  What foot braces are those that your using?  I am building a Chesapeake 17 and I am wondering if I could fit them.  It looks like they are fixed accept for a pivot of the foot. Thanks

Dan

The foot braces are from Sea-Dog Line. They make two types, rudder control with the pivioting toe and standard non-pivoting foot braces. They are basically the same overall dimensions as the sliding Feathercraft and about the same in weight. I really like the ease of adjustment and the fact that I always have a fixed brace to lean against with the rudder control.

It looks like you have a sleeve or tube for the rudder to mate with in the hole you drilled in the deck. I bought the same rudder from CLC, but have no such thing. Did it come with your kit, or did you add it?

thanks,

Perry 

I made that bearing from delrin on a lathe. I believe most people just install the rudder shaft using the drill-fill-drill method.

http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/drill_fill.html

You could purchase a nylon bushing (3/8" inside dia. x 1/2" or 5/8" outside dia.) from a local source or McMaster-Carr. The rudder shaft is 1 3/4" long so the following from McMaster would work if you stacked two to give you a total length of 1 3/4".

McMaster-Carr PN: 6389K112 - $3.90 pk. of 5

Nylon Bearing Sleeve, for 3/8" Shaft Dia, 1/2" OD, 7/8" Length

Great! thanks. How about those tiny shackles? McMaster-Carr, too?

You will have to google for that one... They are made by Wichard.

Model # WIC-1202 Standard Pin D Shackle

Interior Length: 5/8" - Interior Width: 13/32" - Rod Diameter: 3/16"

Ronstan also makes a small 3/16" D shackle that would work - RF616

Thanks again-

What type of wood is the deck in your pictures? The reddish color looks great 

It's Okoume plywood treated with Lockwood's #23 Mahogany water soluble aniline dye. See the following post... Dyed MC 16.5 deck is finally on.

http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/5622.html

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.