Kayak Security - how do you lock yours up?

For those of you who travel with your kayaks, how do you lock them up on your roof racks over night? I have seen the lasso style cables but would like to hear some other ideas. I ended up drilling 3/4" holes in the hanging knees to loop a cable through. It's only going to slow someone down, if they really wanted it they are going to get it...

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak Security - how do you lock yours up?

I have similar arrangement, a wooden loop inside the cockpit, using a bike lock and a pad lock.  This will not stop someone who is really determined, will slow them down and (hopefully) make them think twice.  One of the best deterents is a well lit, busy parking lot.  Park right under the lamp post by the main entrance or hotel lobby.

On the good side, the uniqueness of our boats make them less appealing to thieves.  especially when they realized the work involved in removing that custom graphic and name under the layers of fibreglass.

I figure if she goes on an unscheduled trip, I now have an excuse to make another now that I have learned all my lessons ;)

I use 2 lengths of plastic coated aircraft cable - pretty tough stuff.  The ends are looped to accept a small padlock.  I feed it over and under all three kayaks just fore and aft of the CH16 coamings.  The coaming prevents a would-be thieve from pulling or pushing the kayaks off the rack.  The wide mid beam of the Mill Creek prevents it from being removed unless the other two are removed first.
You could opt for a more aggressive deterrent...

Yes, the small padlock is fine, perfect, yes we totally respect the privacy of your kayak.  Now, could you call off the dog?

That's just the beauty of Photoshop.  My real dog, a duck tolling retriever, would roll over on her back and wait for a good scratch if you approached my truck.

good topic...just built my Shearwater Sport, and am leary of just leaving it on the car...but I know I'll have to eventually. I have a cable lock meant for bikes, but it will feed in behind the hip braces of my 'yak and then around my Thule roof rack...so that's about the best I can come up with. No one ever stole my Old Town Loon configured like that...but this boat is a "little" bit more special!!!

Lasso Kong Kayak Security Locking Kayak Cable. Great lock. I have left my yak on my car for weeks and in my neighborhood if it's not locked it walks. Great insurance. 

1) For Chris. I have a duck toller hound mix.  great dog. Will bark a lot but then run away if you try to pet him.  Not much protection. Also have a border collie who will bark and has a vicious looking mouth but would never bite anybody.

2) I have kept 2 chesapeaks on my car for most of a summer in the ny suburbs and for weeks in vacationa areas (maine) with only the tie down straps. Never had a problem.  However, I did get an insurance rider for them.  If stollen can by 2 new kits per kayak. 

Another reason to build a Shearwater Sport Sectional! Here is one riding into the back of a Mitsubishi Eclipse. 

I love the German Shepard method and the sectional in the hatch! Both gave me a good chuckle.

I have used Lasso cables for years but I'm not sure that I ever truly needed them. No matter how you secure it with a cable, I believe that the cable itself will always be the weakest link. I think it's main purpose is to discourage.

If I unhook my boat (Wherry) I use a coupler lock that covers the socket for the ball.  I also have two long kayak locks that allow me to wrap the boat, passing through the rowing frame, and then around the trailer axle.  Search for "Lasso Security Cable" kayak lock on www.wayfair.com.  A thief would need to unbolt the rowing frame from the boat and slip the boat out backwards off the trailer to take it.  He/she would probably make so much noise doing this that it would be pretty obvious that they were stealing it.  The Lasso cable is also easy to use to lock kayaks and most anything else to a roof rack.  Of course you need to have the rack locked to the vehicle.  If I leave the trailer attached to my vehicle, I do the same thing with the Lasso, but then I use locking pins on the ball release and on the receiver pin.  I take my oars and other equipment into the hotel room.  It's probably all overkill because it is doubtful that the average thief even knows what to do with a Wherry.  They would certainly be too lazy to go row it!!

I have a big giant lock hanging beside the kayak but attached to nothing. I am assuming thieves are generally stupid and lazy and will not try to defeat my security. So nobody tell them. It's our secret.

I'm sure somebody has a horror story, but I've never worried about mine. They are kind of unique and identifiable. Someone would have to reeeaaallly be bold it to steal one. Wandering down the road with a kayak hoisted on their shoulder. And anyone with a kayak rack or whose involved in the kayak community probably isn't going to steal a home made boat. But if someone does, you get to build another one. Kind of a win, win either way.

with wood boats it,s hard to find somewhere to  attach the cable ,use a steering wheel lock hooked into either the cockpit or a hatch and attach you cable to that. also when staying in hotels  where my vehicle is close to the room i put a few empty beer bottles in the hatches .if someone tries to take it off the racks it'll make a hell of a raquet

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.