Old Epoxy

Skerry project took a HUGE hiatus.  System Three epoxy resin, open and unopened appear to have separated in the past few months.  Thick white goo/sediment in the bottom of the jugs. 

Is this terminal or can this be mixed or vibrated back to consistency?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Old Epoxy

It's not terminal..... not even close to needing last rites <g>. The resin has crystalized, and it can be restored to its original condition by warming it up....

Set the (capped) jugs in a bucket of hot water for a few hours (depending on how much has crystalized, you may need to drain & refill your container with hot water more than once). Once it's all warm, it will be fine.

Been there, done that.... it's not a problem. heat and patience will solve all.

Julie K.

Neither. It's crystallization caused by cold temperatures. You need to soak the jugs in hot water (hot from the tap, not boiling) until the crystals dissolve back into the liquid. It's something I do every year after winter when the spring building season starts. Once the crystals are completely dissolved, the epoxy's like new.

Laszlo

PS - don't forget the pumps, they're probably all gunked up on the inside, too. I usually just order a new set of pumps every spring.

I HAVE ANOTHER OLD EPOXY QUESTION. I WAS GIVEN A 10 YEAR OLD BATCH OF MAS EPOXY. IT HAS TURNED BROWN. HOWEVER WHEN MIXED UP IT HARDENS AS WELL AS THE NEWER CLEAR EPOXY. I PLAN ON USING IT FOR NONE IMPORTANT GLUING PROJECTS. DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT WORK ON A BOAT PROJECT? THE BROWN DISCOLORATION WOULD MAKE IT NECESSARY TO PAINT RATHER THAN VARNISH.

Teoctom:  The brown isn't a problem either.  Once the brown(ish) hardener is mixed with resin and spread you can't detect any brown in the finished coating or joint.  At least I I can't.  Good luck.  Jer  http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus

Jerry: If I use the unthicked brown epoxy over the fiberglass the wood grain will still show through?

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.