storage

I'm building mill creek16.5.  Is it better to install hatches on the deeck or cut the holes in the bulk heads?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: storage

I am installing hatches in my MC 16.5. My wife and I will be using it for fishing and some short camping trips. I also plan on installing flotation bags as it is a requirement on some of the waters that we paddle on. I think you will find the forward bulkhead will be useless as you would have to lay on your stomach to get access to it from under the deck. If you do not plan on storing anything you could just install small drain plugs to allow the compartments to breath and dry out from condensation. You can always add the hatches at a later date if you wanted the storage space but with such a big kayak I find it hard to believe that you would not want to bring stuff...

I have a MC 16.5 that I installed bulkhead hatches in.  I can confirm that the forward hatch is essentially inaccessible.  I use my boat for day trips only so it is no problem.  If however you want to carry anything forward then install a deck hatch.  The aft bulkhead is easy to access.

Paul G

I have a MC16.5 with wooden oval bulkhead hatches that magnetically seal and concur with the other posts that the front hatch is very difficult to get to.  For the front hatch I have a stinger attached to the inside of the hatch that allows me to tie stuff sacks/dry bags on and be able to remove them by slowly pulling on the hatch cover.  I can get some overnight gear in there like a tent and some sleeping gear, but forget about getting to it while on the water or in the boat.  

For me I was not ready to cut into the deck so I did the next best thing, so I do have storage and they look fantastic.  I have considered modifying the deck with flush mount hatches, but it has yet to be a real problem.

To each his own, and good luck!  Sorry for no pictures, I am at work. Jeff

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.