C17 or C18 as an expedition boat

I stand at 170 cm and weighs 60 kg. I plan to mount a multiday expedition carrying a lot of stuff but will also use the sail rig mk 2 in addition to paddling.

At my size could I handle the C18 with its larger payload or should I go with the C17 with its lesser capacity?

All advice and opinion are welcome from everyone and anyone. Thank you. 

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: C17 or C18 as an expedition boat

Honestly,  I think the 17 will be plenty for you.  I stand about 185 and weigh approximately 77 kilos and there is plenty of room for me and gear in a chessy 17.  I don't know how much "stuff" you plan on carrying, but the load capacity of the 17 far exceed what I'd expect for someone of your size even for a week or so.

FrankP 

Sorry, to answer your question, you can probably handle the 18 but I think you'll find the 17 more comfortable and plenty sufficient for your needs.

FrankP 

Thank you, Frank. With nothing else to base my potential choice on not having seen either or any CLC boat, I could just as well go with your advice. Am thinking of a boat with the capability of crossing the open ocean for say up to a week without outside assistance. With the outriggers, I could doze off for short spells as needed.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.