First RC Independence Construction Post!

My first construction question for CLC or others on building the RC Independence.  As you know the ribs and spines need minor cutting of  the slots and tabs fittings prior to gluing together with epoxy.  I've worked them pretty good and have everything fitted  and taped together securely.  All is square and perpendicular.  So I ask myself this:  Why disassemble the entire thing, gum  it all up with epoxy and try to fit it back together like a jigsaw puzzle and all the mess that will ensue, when I can use a simple and penetrating cyanoacrilate glue (super glue) with a super hard accelerant on the joints to kind of weld it all together while it's all perfectly square?  Then take all the tape off and apply epoxy to every surface of the constructed frame for continued gluing penetration and sealing/waterproofing purposes?
I've used the super glues for constructing RC airplanes and they're plenty strong enough to hold the wood together.  In fact on airplanes the only place we used epoxy was to glass the two wings together at the "dihedral".  When finished those planes were practically indestructible unless you put one straight into the dirt, which I did on many occasions and even then the wings held!
I understand the need for the epoxy for the sealing and waterproofing, and I wonder why the same couldn't still be accomplished, only using the super glue for the "tack welding as it were?
Any thoughts on this folks?
Look forward to comments.  Thanks,  Bob H.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: First RC Independence Construction Post!

I know having used penetrating cyanoacrilate glue (super glue) with other types of woodworking (turning, boxes, etc) it seems to only have a life of 90 to 180 days.  As long as the epoxy will join the pieces over the tacks, you should be okay.

KK

KK, Thanks for your response.  I've never had the short term life experience with CA that you mention, but it's a most interesting observation.  Then again, I've only used it on model boats and RC planes with balsa and bass woods.  And I never had a plane long enough to test the 180 day life you cite because I usually crashed before that time!  One of my chief reasons for giving up on THAT hobby.  In any event, while I was going to use a substantial amount of CA on the joints, I think I'll simply do "tack welds" to hold square and true, then go back and completely fill the joints and seal all surfaces with unthickened epoxy.  I was even thinking of glassing a few of the joints but on this project I think it would be overkill and add un-needed weight.   Thanks again for that tip.  Best,  Bob H

Just a thought - maybe use a hot-melt glue gun to do your temporary 'tack welds' - sets more or less immediately and can then be epoxied over as needed.

Wordsmith

Hey Bob,

Remind me not to go flying with you. LOL

Dumb question... If you have room to tack around the tape, why not tack with fast set epoxy (it even comes marine grade) which sets in 5 minutes, but takes 24 hours to cure.  Then coat everything with your normal epoxy?  The trick is to only mix what you can use at a time.  I think you will find it will be cheaper and more compatable in the long run.

I still use "Hot Shot" glues to fill and on cracks when I am turning on the lathe, but I use "Expo 88" on my yaks.

KK

KK,

Not to worry, I gave up flying those things years ago!  I was great at takeoffs and flying, but just couldn't get the hang of landing!  Not a good thing for a pilot.  Your idea of quick set epoxy is a good one and I've used it before.  I just thought the CA would be good for penetration on the tighter joints and then epoxy over that would be for further strength.  I'll have to think some more about the whole thing.  Thanks again.  Best,  Bob

Oh well, I guess if I could jump out of planes when I was in the Army, then I could jump before you landed, when you wanna fly the real thing?  I'll go with ya.

KK

All of those Wood Ducks visible on the ShopCam this week were assembled with CA glue "tack welds".  Takes minutes rather than overnight.  (Normal epoxy fillets are applied over the tack welds.)

KK and John,  First, KK, let's get a plane, you get the parachutes, one for you and one for me, you'll show me the ripcord, and we'll have the time of our lives in that plane before we ditch! 

Now for the serious stuff, if CA is good enough for John, it's darn sure good enough for me.  Thanks KK for the tips and fun and John, thanks for the CA go ahead.  It'll still be properly filleted and fully epoxied later.  Best,  bob h.

I believe thee notion that CA dissolved very quickly may have stemmed from its medical use to stick tissue together while it heals. I understand that under those circumstqnces CA is absorbed by the body reasonably quickly.  Howeever, when used on wood or other like materials, CA lasts indefinitely.  We have built some 30 of the Independence pond yachts, some as many as 5-6 yeqrs ago, and none have shown any signs of a failed joint, either in the center truss or planking.  They were all tacked together completely with CA and only later Epoxied inside to seal the wood.  Many of these boats have been used quite hard- raced regularly and been T-boned with gusto!

Incidentally, Fine Woodworking Magazine tested a whole bunch of wood glues and CA did very well as far as strength.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.