Finally varnishing CLT 17/ copper and solder inlay

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finally varnishing CLT 17/ copper and solder inlay

First coat.  Just want to show the different colors.

Hey that inlay looks good Kim.

--

Ogata (eric)

very cool inlay, would like some details on how you did it?  I'm thinking that would be perfect for my wife's Woodduck...

Dremel with a router attachment.

#6 ground wire I believe.  1/8" solder.  I prefer the lead free.  Just a phobia on sanding lead.  Nickel is good wire to work with too.

Bent the wire to my template.  Trace the bent wire to a scrap piece of plywood.  Route out the trace to a depth at least 50% or so of wire thickness.  Tap the wire or super glue the wire into the routed groove.  Sand down the wire flush.  Remove and transfer to your yak.  I super glued the finish wire inlays to the inlay groove and did more sanding.  Final step get some 600 grit or whatever you like to buff. 

I was afraid routing out big grooves like that would weaken the deck.  I took a 3 mil piece of okoume and glued it under the deck opposite the inlay.  I used a hydraulic floor jack and some shims to force the brace into position.

Thanks for the compliment.  I am just getting into this inlay stuff.  My first thoughts were gold and silver.  Kinda hard to work with in such thin leaf.  I really like the copper.   riogrande.com if you want nickel wire.  They also have square copper wire in smaller gage. 

Kim

Whooooooooaaaaaaa!!!!

I forgot one tip.  Big tip. On my practice pieces, the shiny metal will cause the glass cloth to show quite well.  Only way I saw around this is to lay your cloth and 1st coat of epoxy. When it has cured, then route out the inlay.  This is the reason why I used practice plywood to sand the wires. 

Kim

Nice job on your inlay! Nice to see others doing this. I like the solder and the template idea. I usually freehand the routing with a dremel tool with a custom base I made for it. A template seems less scary!

Here's a pic of the first inlay I did on a kayak, a few years ago. Nowadays I mostly build SOF kayaks, and can only put in inlay on the cockpit rim. Not as satisfying!

Anyway, your bike (and boat) looks great!

Dave GentryNorth Bay bow inlay

Not sure if template was a good word for me to use.  I just trace from the drawing to the wood using carbon paper.  I don't have free hand drawing talent. 

I like what you did.  As I said earlier I am just getting into the copper.  Lots of stuff to try yet.  Soon as I learn to cut copper sheets easily that will open up a lot of things.

Thanks

Kim

Nice touch, Kim!   May we assume your bike has a design of a kayak on it somewhere?

Wordsmith

I had 3 kayaks and wanted to build more.  Yes, a dilemma.  I had the idea to build another and donate it to a charity auction.  But soon after the build started, a buddy I let use my Duck last summer, bought the new build.   He is the owner of the local bike shop.  Hence the bicycle theme.  I also did a decoupage on each side, of his shop logo.  All is coming out well.  He gets a yak at a great price.  I gave a couple hundred to the Sandusky Sailing club Jr. Sailing Team and I got some therapy. 

I also got a great deal on a recumbent bicycle which will renew my enjoyment of pedaling.

Also thanks again to John for a break on the plans for charity.

Thanks

Kim

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.