Mystery boat

Not mine, click on pictures for larger image.

Laszlo

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Mystery boat

It's a dory.

It's glued lap plywood.

It's a double-ender.

It's got the biggest outwales I've seem and the guy that bent them must have been a brute.

Would you settle for something similar or do you want a rock solid ID?

If I had to give an answer, I would say she's S/N 5-641-D, built in spring of '59 before the original shop burned down, unless the pins holding the trannel flanges to the inwales (which are not visible in the photo) are bronze, in which case it's the 5-701-B.

I'm really glad I don't, though.  I don't like making up stuff like this at all.

Anyway, good luck, Lasz.  If the owner cannot be found within 90 days, she's yours and you don't have to put her back in the driveway you took her from.

This looks a lot like the CLC Northeaster Dory.

I think Casey's right...

You guys are correct. It is indeed a Northeaster Dory, an NE Dory, not just any dory. Turns out that there's one under construction that's not being built in the CLC shop.

Charlie, wait until you see the "brute" who bent thos rubrails :-)

Laszlo

Here's the brute....

Some people are like a fine wine - 40 years in the barrel works wonders.

Hey Laszlo,

Thanks, I guess, for posting the semi-current pic of me. I just hope there's not enough resemblence that people think the first one is actually me.

Had a great time at the Gulf Coast Small Craft Festival. Jack, who named the NE Dory and gets a free set of plans, was there and had a nice chat with him. A couple of other CLC fans were there as well. Looking foreard to O'Fest in a few weeks.

Here's the semi-finished dory at the show. Still needs another coat of paint, 4 more coats of varnish and the sail rig completed.

dory1

dory2 

Not a bad looking boat.

George K

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.